Saturday 17 February 2018

Build Me Up, Buttercup

This post is dedicated to the man who has been my unexpected roommate for a year and half without killing me or finding himself pushed off the fourth floor balcony he’d so wanted. 

He is, quite obviously, mad as a bag of frogs, and quotes William Carlos Williams’ poems when stealing my toilet paper:

Forgive me,
It was so papery.

“D’ya get it?!  Do ya, do ya, do ya?  I mean, do ya get it??”

“You mean you imitating a horrible poet?  You mean that was intentional?  You read poetry?  You read?”


More a Jedi than a regular Christian, he gives me terrible advice about relationships and marriage, and argues with me (pointlessly), even when I have predicted his useless arguments and asked him not to share them. 

“I was on the bus...  Never mind.  You’re going to give me a stupid argument about not having proof, instead of agreeing with me like a rational person and this is going to go nowhere.”

“Tell me.”

Jesus wept.

“...What, you’re not gonna tell me?!”

“Oh, God.  Fine.  I was on the bus, and the men said that women are the greatest impediment to family planning.  That’s stupid.”  Go ahead - I know it was killing you to listen this long without rebuttal.

“You can’t say that!  You have no proof!  You @@*&(* in a (!*(&@ with a (@#&(* hat of @#(*$* on a !@##* stick - you should have been drowned at birth.”  [Note:  He didn’t actually say this, but he wanted to.]

You know he’s serious when he makes a claw-hand and gestures frenetically to facilitate the transfer of his ideas, or perhaps just terrify naysayers with his T-Rex impression. 

“The proof is human physiology, you ass--inine fool.”

15 minutes of two people pretending to have a polite conversation in which they have no vested interest in winning and grinding the other to pulverised dust later

“I mean, I agree with you – I’m just saying you have no proof.  This is not an empirical study, it wouldn’t hold up in a university.”

I stared up at him from the garish orange couch matching the circle of hell to which it takes its clientele, in a city in the eastern Congo with one main road that is more pothole than asphalt, after having explained my understanding of a Swahili conversation in a 16-seat bus containing 22 people from a village an hour away. 

You’re right.  I have not conducted an empirical study to verify the wild hypothesis that – as a male’s contribution to the birth of an infant is sperm, and a female’s is the conversion of her body into a bouncy castle for nine months – a woman is more likely to want to plan her pregnancies. 

I appreciate that he cooks well, shares pizza, attempts to keep our communal spaces clean, washes dishes, and opens jars – he is like a multi-purpose kitchen unit.  Bonus features are filling water in various containers when possible, allowing me to shower first, disposing of rat corpses, not recognising that I am female, and informing me that he is a man (except one occasion when he insisted he was an independent woman and could carry his own bucket).  Repeatedly. 

No, you don’t understand – repeatedly. 

These invaluable services render him the real MVP, as we have lived in a culture where I am expected to cook and clean for men and bear their largely unwanted commentary on my hair, my weight, my clothes, and the chances of my giving them a dowry.  I accept the radio programmes he rarely understands played at full volume and continuous verbal diarrhea as bearable side effects. 

“So you’re makin’ rice.  Just boilin’ some rice.  Rice party.”

“Eatin’ another egg for dinner.  Like you always do.  Gosh, ya really love eggs, don’t ya.”

“Are you waiting for the power?  Like you do every night?  Can you make the power come on?  Can you be less sad?”

“Are those two buckets of water for you?  Yes?  Really?  But you usually have one for me!  It is for me?  But I thought you said they were both for you!  You’re confusing me.  Is.  One.  Bucket.  For.  Me.  Forget it; I don’t want to take a shower.”

“You eatin’ a banana?  Ya like that banana?  Now you’re throwin’ away the peel.  You look angry.  Are you angry?  Why are you angry?  You’re always so angry.  Why are you always so (#&$(* angry. 

I will remember the way he sneezes (because these, aside from his worthless arguments, are his only forms of real communication).  Disdaining allergy medication, he instead prefers to stew his sinuses in pestilence and dust – with pestilential tea to aid him in this process, though he has preferred to use it as psychological terrorism after advising The Phoenix to create gallons of it to clutter up my kitchen.  I can now hear the nuances in his trumpeting into a wad of toilet paper (100% recycled cacti!) indicating:
-          I’m hungry
-          I’ve soiled myself
-          I’ve fractured my rib
-          It’s morning!
-          I am about to give you the bubonic plague and cholera – feel free to bask in my feverish glow

That last was a relatively new addition that I didn’t recognise until I was in a village-shaped collection of mud an hour away from the city, trying to keep my brain from fleeing through my eyeballs.  I came back home two days later, mostly recovered, to find him with a tissue stuffed up his nose pretending to care about Joan of Arc, when all he was thinking was likely, But no one had any proof, I mean, really, this is all just so confrontational...

Upon our meeting, sparks and bacteria flew and I developed a cough that would send me into agonised spasms every time I laughed, which proves that he hates me to be happy in any way, shape, or form.  We shared in this Angry Old Man-itis until he casually mentioned that he also had a stomach bug.

“Oh, I’m fine – it’s just this terrible cough.”

Famous last words, I realised, as I lay sideways on my bed at midnight, alternating between arching and curling like a birthday whistle from the 90s – moaning in tongues amidst the mess I’d made of my room digging for Tums on my hands and knees while trying to remember a reason to live anyway.  I’d promised myself that I’d call Grandpa to take me to the hospital and text Joseph before I died, but the trouble was that it was just so hard to tell. 

In the hope of gaining sympathy, I tried to explain my near-death experience the next morning. 

“Yeah, my shoulders hurt.”
x


I stared at him.

“Very badly,” he assured me. 

The little trooper then played a rousing game of Frisbee after which he came home looking like the ghost of a virgin murdered on her wedding day – I hadn’t seen so much white since leaving Canada. 

“But exercise is good for you!”
“Yeah, but not that much when you’re still sick.”
“But exercise is good for you!”
“It is!  We’re just differing in terms of degrees when you’re sick!”
“Are you saying exercise is not good for you?!”

The next morning, he confronted me, as feverish as a red, red rose and deliriously blithering that being the centre of attention was no big deal. 

Not all of us are young white American males – some of us are shy Indian women with fragile constitutions and a powerful urge to set you on fire. 

The best part about him is that he tries to understand the differences between us sometimes, though with a poor rate of success – such as when he held up an ice cream party for me – and tells me to do me. 

And that is what I take from this insightful white American male with a passion for languages and a thirst to discover how and why the world works the way it does and how we could make it better:  You do you. 

That, an addiction to various American serials, and The Beatles.  (Although if I hear one more time that I gotta listen to the Magical Mystery Tour ‘cause it’s comin’ to take you away, none of this will have been worth it.)

Thanks, man – our matching outfits connect us across the globe and attest to the fact that, while we rarely understood each other, we tried.

And we made it.     

We have matching outfits (thanks to a friend),
but he didn't wanna

No comments:

Post a Comment

At the risk of sounding desperate - PLEASE WRITE TO ME!