Friday 27 January 2017

On Coming Together - Appendix A

In trying to learn more about the WoC vs. WW smackdown, I cruised the Internet to find what made coloured feminism better or more valid than white feminism.  I mostly found sites that wanted to teach me how to be an ethical slut and a bad bitch who changes the world.


I'm fairly certain I don't want to be either, nor do I want to describe my mother as such, nor would I encourage my future daughter to aim for these labels.  Is the term person too mainstream?  Does the word woman mean I am denying my sexuality?

All the news I read seems to be about choosing whom to vilify – if I'm an immigrant, it's the majority of US voters; if I'm a woman, it's the patriarchy; if I'm a WoC, it's WW.  Is this really what activism is about now: splintering into specialized factions because half the world doesn't understand, and quite possible doesn't care, exactly what I've been through as a TCK from India growing up in Canada?  This seems to be a pissing war over levels of oppression, and I'm not really sure I want to win.

Are black women viewed as hypersexualized?  Yes.  Are Asian women viewed as submissive?  Yes.  Are white women viewed as promiscuous?  Yes.  Is each of their experiences of feminism going to different?  Yes.  Do you know why?  Because all societies teach men that they are powerful and that sex is a necessity that can be obtained through that power, and it takes only a small adjustment on this lens to find socially acceptable reasons to say 'She was begging for it.'

Rape, sexual violence, child marriage, FGM, dowry – these are the enemies.  Not men, and definitely not some pumpkin-spiced-latte-sipping receptionist with a manicure who is frustrated by a President who is openly crass regarding women (not to mention his alleged assaults against some).  I can fully understand not wanting to support Pussy hats, and uggs frustrate me as much as the next brown girl.  But white women have a voice too, and this silencing is bizarre and dangerous.  In the same way that rocking your weight and body shape shouldn't involve calling out 'skinny bitches' (I'm looking at you, Meghan Trainor), in the same way that a man explaining something shouldn't be disregarded, white feminists shouldn't be muzzled because they may be fighting for different things.  A black or native woman saying that her ancestors have been protesting since dinosaurs roamed the earth hardly affects the right of a white woman to wear a pink toque and want affordable birth control.

Do some people ask stupid questions?  Absolutely.  And you know how you answer them?  With the right answers.

Check your privilege is an effective silencer; its colonial ancestor may have been Check your tan.  Because, ladies, let's face it: Despite the best efforts of science in the early 1900s, IQ is not tied to skin colour.  Neither is EI.  I think we must have been grateful for the acceptance of that fact once.

Confession: I've told a friend who admitted to being bulimic that she didn't look it.

What does that even mean?!  I don't know?!  I just said it?!  She was being open and I was being stupid and I think my brain is on fire excuse me while I die. 

So you see, brown people can be just as insensitive as white ones.  And don't you ever tell me black people can't be the same – not when I've been carefully asked whether Chinese people are cannibals.  Because it's rarely about wilful spite – more about blind ignorance and fear.  Which we are now perpetuating because asking questions – saying anything – means you need to check your privilege (but, uh, only if you're white and/or male).

Random woman dancing around in a strange outfit: Maybe it's cultural, how the heck do I know, I'd better just walk by to show my acceptance of LGBTQIA and Palestine.

Woman in a headscarf being harassed: Well, she has a voice, it's not like I can speak for her, maybe I'd be mansplaining, I don't know how to be a good ally – I should've read that article on Facebook...

As Butters often reminds me, usually in a pitying tone: You do you.

You're worried about climate change?  Great – peacefully protest it.  Explain so that people understand; if they don't, keep peacefully protesting until they do.

You don't know about India?  Great – let's talk.  Preferably over pizza and Wikipedia.

The point is that no matter how tired we are of explaining our thoughts, our feelings, and our beliefs, and no matter how much we'd like to move towards an empathetic world where we all instinctively understand each other, know just what to say in any given situation, and how to support any group over any issue – we're never going to get there without effort.  This contradicts the millennial approach to instant success with a minimum of work, but connections are painful, messy, and awkward, and this is doubly true for revolutions.

We're all different, with different passions and different causes – those of a WoC are not harmed if a WW's are fulfilled.  My pain at seeing the struggle for economic and physical security among lower-class women in South East Asia and Africa is in no way increased if there are more female leaders in the West.  The important thing to remember is that we are women, and a victory in one company, in one industry, in one country, will mean a victory in another soon.  And I need all my sisters with me – even if they ask stupid questions, even if they are pro-choice, even if their colour palette doesn't match mine.  So we approach feminism from different angles – the goal is still equality, safety, and health for all women.

For that, I'd protest (fully dressed) beside Pamela Anderson.

No comments:

Post a Comment

At the risk of sounding desperate - PLEASE WRITE TO ME!