Wednesday 9 November 2016

Seeking Good

This is in commemoration of Obama’s presidency. 

Of the leadership of an intelligent, charismatic, well-spoken – frankly, damn hot – man of colour with an intelligent, charismatic, well-spoken wife and two daughters of whom I know nothing. 

I didn’t always agree with him, but I had the strange sort of confidence that even if he were a Muslim jihadist who secretly (very secretly) wanted America to burn, at least he’d do it with some level-headed thought and planning.  Heck, with his tactful drawl, I might even be convinced of the idea myself. 


I stay out of politics for the main part because I don’t understand it and it doesn’t interest me.  I vote, as all of the election in my life have been crucial turning points for my province and country (or maybe it always feels that way), but it’s more of a responsiblity than an interest.  And the fact that it divides people even further than our personal thoughts and beliefs makes me dread election season. 

Thus, I was very pleased to be out of Canada for the US election.  It didn’t really matter to me, and I knew, I knew, that Trump wouldn’t win.  I mean, I’m no Hilary fan, but I don’t want her imprisoned, and asking me to choose between the two of them is like asking whether I’d rather eat broccoli or roll around on a bed of live coals and then kill myself. 

Broccoli is acceptable.  Broccoli in a pantsuit is fashionably demure. 

As disturbing facts came to light about Trump’s behaviour, I shrugged – there was no point in freaking out about it – he wasn’t going to win

I didn’t believe it, even as Butters carefully explained to me, with the air of someone dealing with a knife-wielding mental patient, that they’re really close.  You know, Trump could win.  People do stupid things sometimes.  It’ll be okay. 

No.  It wouldn’t.  But that wouldn’t matter.  Because America, not even America, was so far gone as to vote for someone like him – not after George Dubyah. 

I imagine the titles will grow out of the woodwork, if they haven’t already: 

Clinton Doesn’t Trump Mysogyny

Racism:  Trumps

I cannot believe that we are facing this in 2016.

The reaction here is furthering my sense of not living in the real world.  Here we are, in country in which the President was elected in 2001 and the upcoming election is being indefinitely delayed, and only the men are following major international news.  When I told female colleagues of the stakes, their reactions were somewhat standard.

“There’s an election in the US?”

“So it’s not Obama anymore?”

“That sounds great!”

Their reactions didn’t change much when I gave a general overview of the candidates. 

“It’s Marie Clinton, isn’t it?”

“Trump, Trump, Domo Trump...  Not ringing a bell.”

“So he’s winning?  That’s great!”

On Facebook, I have American friends saying that at least babies can’t be legally killed now. 

That’s right – Donald Trump is the face and voice of the United States of America, but at least Republican ideals will hold.  Never mind about the lives of these incoming children in a country led by a president who talks about race in relation to rapists, immigrants in relation to walls, and women in relation to their vaginas. 

(I hate to be crude, but if we have a video of the President of the United States saying he can grab women by the pussy, I need to overcome my overwhelming shame.)

I don’t enjoy pulling the race and feminism cards (not seriously, anyway) but as a female immigrant, part of a visible minority in the Western world where Britian and the USA have deliberately chosen to promote racial inequality, I am appalled.   I don't know if the outcome of this election was due to misogyny, but I don't attribute it as a large cause.  I still believe that women can do and be what they want, especially in America.  But in actively choosing a man who has a callous view towards women and an isolationist view towards the world, America has chosen to focus on our differences rather than our similarities.  This will be a detriment to feminism but, more importantly, to the embracing of others in your community who don't look or act like you, to those who need help, to people seeking a home, peace, and acceptance.   

I had faith that we would be okay – when Obama was elected and, uh, not shot (yeah, tell me you weren’t expecting it one day), I really thought the world was progressing.  Yes, electing a black man and managing to not murder him in cold blood was a great achievement in my eyes.  

Right now, I’m asking even more.  Our sermon last week was on Jeremiah 29: 4-14, and never has the image of Israel under Babylon been so real for me.  I’m asking that Americans (and the rest of us) actively pray and work for the good of America and each of the countries in which we’re placed.  If this is a time of exile, then prosper – don’t pay attention to the global market’s downturn or the rhetoric Trump is likely to share about immigration, global warming, women, or the economy.  Relax.  Pray.  Work.  Play.  Repeat. 

I am in favour of four years of silence to commemorate Obama’s presidency.  Four years to remember a time when a president spoke of women with basic decency, even apparent respect, and treated his wife and daughters with love and honour.  Four years to desperately hope that Venezuela, Colombia, China, Russia, Syria, Afghanistan, Ukraine, Yemen, Somalia, and North Korea all get by with little to no effective leadership from the Western hegemony.  Four years to humble ourselves, to pray and seek the good of the USA and other countries instead of giving in to fear and hate. 

Who knows whether God will not turn and relent, and leave a blessing behind him... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

At the risk of sounding desperate - PLEASE WRITE TO ME!